In a 2003 study, cited in Royal College of Psychiatrists, Karen A. Baikie and Kay Wilhelm highligts the long-term and short-term positive effects of writing about life experiences. The study outlines why your child should start writing journals.
“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth.
Expressive writing about emotional, traumatic and stressful events results in significantly better psychological and physical well being. Where can your child find these experiences? Of course, in their day to day lives.
Why your child should start writing journals?
The study showed significant improvements in the following areas when you cultivate a habit of writing about life experiences.
Higher grades for students
Improved working memory
Reduced depressive symptoms before examinations
Improved social behaviour
Improved sports performance
Greater psychological well being
Improved lung function
Improved liver function
Fewer days in hospital
How your child should start writing journals?
You might be wondering how you can ensure your child is doing the expressive writing in the right conditions.
- Provide a correct statement of the facts of the situation your child is writing on.
- Ensure that the writing reveals the subsconscious thought processes. Let them include their deepest thoughts and feelings in their writing.
- Your child is able to discuss the writing with a person close to them.
- Your child is able to write freely about the topic
- Your child expresses the emotions verbally in their writing.
When and where your child should start writing journals?
It is also important to provide the right environment to your child so that your child will be able to function their best. We have some tips for that.
- Set a particular time of the day for expressive writing
- Do not write at bedtime. This helps especially if they are writing about an unpleasant experience.
This strategy of writing works for both children and adults. Cultivating expressive writing in children is probably a great strategy for improving the writing skills while enjoying all the physical and psychological benefits it offers.
Share this article with your friends and colleagues, so that they too are aware of this amidst their busy schedules.
Do you have any insights or tips that you use? Would you like to share that? Please use the comments section below and let us know!
Are you looking for a special present for an adorable child? Why don’t you give a present that will leave a lifetime positive impact? When you give The Kidz Parade Edutainment Magazine as a present, you are opening the door to a world of Creativity and Communication.
© 2015 – 2017, Sindu Sreebhavan. All rights reserved.